Thursday, February 6, 2014

Taste Test Thursday: Red Velvet Brownies

Last year at work, my coworkers and I shared a bonding experience called Taste Test Thursday where every other Thursday one of us would make a new recipe and bring it for everyone to share. All of the treats were delicious and so we've started our bi-monthly snack swap again.

I started us off today with red velvet brownies.



This recipe brings together three of my favorite things - brownies, red velvet and Valentines Day.

There are two camps of brownie aficionados and I am of the fudge-y (not cake-y) persuasion. These brownies are very fudgey and overflowing with chocolate flavor. The recipe was intended for an 8x8" but I made it in a 9x2x13" to make enough for my hungry co-workers. That made for a thin, gooey brownie that was super chocolatey; I want to try it again in the 8" square to make thicker, more dense brownies which I think will be delicious.

There are few things as Southern as red velvet cake. For those who aren't aware, red velvet is technically just chocolate cake, but normally there's added vinegar to add extra depth. But proving that we eat with our eyes before our taste buds, I seriously believe that a beautiful, deep red cake with creamy white icing would taste 10x better than a dull chocolate counterpart.

And yes, I am a Valentine freak. I love cheesy holidays and get such a kick out of going all out with pinks and reds and hearts and bows for February 14. I am lucky enough to have plenty of loved ones and to be loved (Amanda means "loveable, worthy of love") so of course I love a day meant to recognize the mushiest of emotions. I look forward to making cards, picking out sweet gifts and making V-day themed food - especially desserts. This dessert could be made for any occasion - without any food coloring or with any color you'd like. The red looked so beautiful against the chocolate swirl, but without looking tacky (although I do happen to like cheesy things).

This dish was a winner on all fronts - beautiful, delicious, and festive!

These brownies are also particularly easy to make - I actually had them in the oven in less than 10 minutes. And it's equally convenient because all of the ingredients are pantry staples. These brownies would be perfect for making in a pinch when your child volunteers you to bring snacks (and they can help!) or you have unexpected dinner guests.

Red Velvet Brownies

Ingredients:
1/2 c unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
1 large egg
1 c light brown sugar, packed
1 T vanilla extract
heaping 1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
red food coloring (I used 3/4 of a vial of liquid dye)
3/4 c all purpose-flour
pinch of salt
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (if you'd like them to be sweeter and less rich, use milk chocolate)

Method:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8"  pan (see above about desired brownie thickness)with non-stick cooking spray.

In large microwave safe bowl, melt butter.

Slowly whisk in vanilla, sugar and egg until smooth. Let the butter cool slightly and temper the egg to prevent cooking. Note: this recipe does not require a mixer. I used my new KitchenAid on low because I'm still "getting to know it." The recipe is designed to be done by hand, if desired. 

Add the cocoa and whisk until smooth.

Add the food coloring - it takes a lot of dye to change the color of a chocolate batter. Be liberal with your dye. Stir until solid, desired color.

Gently stir in flour and salt, stirring only until combined. Do not overmix or you will have a chewy brownie.

Pour into prepared pan and smooth to be even.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Do 30 seconds at first, stir and continue in 10 second blitzes. Chocolate seizes up easily so watch carefully and stir thoroughly in between bursts of heating - the stirring will help spread out the heat.

Drizzle the chocolate over the red velvet batter. I did four long rows of chocolate and then when back horizontally (like a tic-tac-toe board). Then, drag a knife or toothpick through and swirl. Thinking of a tic-tac-toe board, I dragged/swirled where the corners did not meet; I dragged horizontally and then vertically.

Bake for 25-30 minutes for an 8x8" pan until a toothpick inserted in comes out clean. (For a larger pan - thinner brownie - bake for a shorter time; my 9x2x13 took around 15 minutes).

Allow to cool fully before slicing and serving. I sliced mine when cool, but chilled them  in the fridge overnight to allow the chocolate swirl to harden.

These are also freezer-friendly. You can store baked, sliced bars in the freezer for several months. I would put parchment paper between the bars so you can pull out a few at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, what do you think about making these without the chocolate chips? I think I'll try it plain, and let you know (unless you, also, do not currently have any chips, but want to make the recipe NOW, and have already tried this) . . .
    Badjuju7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they'd still be good without the drizzle. The chocolate chip swirl on top makes it really pretty and does add a change in texture and bumps up the chocolate flavor, but the brownies are fudgy enough to stand alone w/out a topping.
    Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete