Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thankful for Bountiful Thanksgiving Meals

I am only child; Jordan is the eldest of six from two blended families.

My families usually had two to three Thanksgiving gatherings spread out over a two week period. Once I started jonesing for turkey and dressing (Southerners DO NOT eat or make "stuffing") there was another family meal right around the corner - dad's family, mom's family and then just us three.

With the uniting of our families, I now have three meals in one single nothing-but-stretchy-pants day. Last year we tried spreading it out as much as we could, but in 2013 we're going back-to-back with Jordan's families and mine. And it's going to be delicious!

We are cooking for two of the three meals; for lunch at Mamaw J's, Jordan is bringing his new favorite sneaky dessert, mock apple pie (recipe below - seriously tastes like magnificent apple pie but is made of Ritz crackers!) and at our late evening meal at home with my parents, I'm making twice baked sweet potatoes (recipe below) and roasted cauliflower (recipe below) and Jordan's making his glazed carrots. (I'll post an update tomorrow with pictures, too!)

I anticipate traditional food at Jordan's Mamaw's and Paw's celebrations, but we're going to be deconstructing our traditional sweet potatoes, turkey and gravy meal with my parents and experimenting a little. My dad is going to smoke some parts of the turkey - either just a breast or the whole damned thing, I'm trying a new sweet potato dish instead of casserole with streusel and opting for the cauliflower instead of green beans (not in a casserole, bleh!).

I'm really excited for this meal that is a departure from our normal Thanksgiving fare, but there are some foods that just scream Thanksgiving and I certainly hope we get tomorrow.

Jordan and I are both in the pro-cranberry sauce camp. I love it - fresh, out of the can with or without whole berries - I could eat it by itself. I actually have a serious weakness for turkey and cranberry combinations; twice in the last year we've tried a new restaurant and I picked out what I wanted, saw that they offered a hot turkey/cran sandwich and  jumped ship on my earlier choice.

We are also lovers of pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie has apparently become the most sought after flavor starting September 1, and I actually foundered Jordan on pumpkin-filled things (including ravioli, alfredo sauce, muffins and cakes) this fall; but we both can't get enough of the pie! And another sign of our true love, Jordan gives me the crust from his pie slices - so romantic!

And I need dressing. Again, not stuffing - who wants to eat bread out of a bird orifice? Our recipe has been tinkered with for so long, I hardly remember it's original version that my Aunt Debra made at least ten years ago. Like so many of our family recipes, nothing is measured and you can add more or less ingredients depending on what's in your pantry. It's basis is cornbread and stale French bread, browned sausage, sage, thyme, chicken broth, diced apples and pecans. Some years we add pears or craisins, but it turns out wonderful every time. I'd probably be happy with a plate of dressing and cranberry sauce.

I've finished my grocery shopping, cleaned the house, laundered the place mats and napkins and will be starting my prep shortly. I always look forward to Thanksgiving - it's a legitimate foodie holiday - and the wonderful self-awareness and gratefulness it brings with it. I am grateful that I have a wonderful family and future husband to spend my holidays (and every day) with; that we are comfortably employed and can afford to take the time to be together, to buy ingredients and cook meals; and that we are in good health to visit with each other. I am grateful for you, readers, and hope that you have a wonderful holiday and a delicious meal with those you love.

And here are the wonderful recipes you were waiting for:

Mock Apple Pie: This recipe originated in the Great Depression when apples were too expensive and in short supply; it tastes eerily like apple pie and is a wonderful, warm seasonal dish that epitomizes Fall. My dad used to make this when I was a kid; I told Jordan about it and he didn't believe that such a thing could exist - now he's hooked on them!

Ingredients: (10 slices)

2 unbaked pie crusts (you're welcome to make your own, too)
36 original Ritz crackers (don't go generic, and don't make the mistake of picking up the flavored ones), coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups crumbs)
1-3/4 c water
2 c sugar
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 T lemon juice (2T is in the recipe but this makes it too lemony for us)
zest of 1 lemon
2 T margarine or butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Method:

Preheat oven to 425.

Roll out pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust, set aside.

Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest; cool. Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with marg/butter, sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out second pastry; place over pie - trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust for steam.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely -This step is critical. Without proper cooling, the filling will not set up properly and will be very runny. It is delicious served slightly reheated with vanilla ice cream melting on top.

--------------------------------------------------

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes-  To me, this is a great alternative to sweet potato casserole and gives each person their own dressed-up sweet potato. This is also a good make-ahead dish where you do the initial baking, make the filling and either leave them separate and assemble and reheat later or pre-assemble and warm later.

Ingredients (for 6):

6 medium sweet potatoes (8 oz. each)
1/2 c butter, cubed (this can easily be lessened, it's about the flavor and texture you want- start with 1/4 and go from there)
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 medium apple chopped (I used a peeled honeycrisp - which are undoubtedly the best apples ever - but it's up to you)
1/4 c chopped pecans

Method:

Preheat oven to 400. Scrub and pierce potatoes with a fork. Place on a foil lined baking pan. Bake 45-60 minutes or until tender - check at 45 min.

When cool, cut a thin slice from the top of each potato, discard. Scoot out pulp, leaving 1/4" shell, transfer pulp to medium bowl. Mash with butter and sugar, stir in apples and pecans.

Spoon into potato shells. Return to baking pan. Bake 15-20 min. or until heated through.

 ------------------------------------------------

Roasted Cauliflower: This dish is incredibly simple and is a wonderful side. It has quickly become a last-minute side and I can mix the ingredients in my sleep and with only two real steps, it's just as easy to finish.

Ingredients: (for 4 large servings)

1 large head of cauliflower, broken into florets
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. smoked paprika
3/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried)

Method:

Preheat oven to 450.

Place cauliflower in large bowl. Mix oil and spices in small bowl. Drizzle over cauliflower; toss to coat. Transfer to large baking pan.

Bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir. Return to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.


CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS OF THE FINAL PRODUCTS!



No comments:

Post a Comment