Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Summer Slaw

It's summer time which means we have more time to spend outside - playing bocce or just sitting on the deck - ergo, I want to spend less time inside cooking when I could be soaking up the sun! So this recipe is a quick one that's perfect for nights when you're in a rush to get to rec league softball or vacation Bible school, want to savor the sunlight or your kitchen is just too damned hot.

I say my dad "invented" this broccoli slaw, only because he's the only person I've ever seen make it; personally, I didn't know pre-packaged broccoli slaw mix even existed. But since he first made this, I've been hooked!



It's a great side dish, but my favorite way to serve it is on top of tacos - especially fish tacos.

For anyone who hasn't tried fish tacos: get with it! They are delicious. Admittedly, I was skeptical at first, too. My first drinking (and alcohol poisoning) experience was after eating a whole mess o' catfish and I never looked at fish (or the store whose sidewalk I besmirched) the same. However, fish tacos can be made from almost any fish, or even shrimp, and are a much more light, delicate and to me, summery take on a Mexican favorite. Sometimes tacos can really weigh you down; just the toppings alone - refried beans, sour cream, cheese (cheddar or cotija), salsa and more - can fill you up. And personally I hate to feel super full in the sweltering heat. Fish, white fish varieties especially, are lighter proteins to begin with and they don't need as much dressing up. Lemon juice, a dash of hot sauce (we're a devout Cholula family) and broccoli slaw do the trick!

The broccoli slaw is incredibly easy and only five ingredients. First, you need a bag of broccoli slaw mix; which may be the most ingenious food product in years. I love broccoli, but usually only find florets raw at salad bars or cocktail parties with ranch dip; so what happens to all of the raw " broccoli trees"? They are sliced into tiny shreds for broccoli slaw! And they have the most amazing texture - it's airy and weightless. When you bite through a broccoli tendril it's like no food texture I've ever felt! A little slaw goes a long way, especially when you're cooking for two, so start with half of the bag - it's easy to whip up more, if when seconds are needed.

Next, add a glob of mayonnaise, or  for a healthy sub stirred, plain Greek yogurt. This is all about consistency and texture. I like my slaw more on the veggie side - not the sauce-heavy-side. So I start with about a tablespoon of mayo, stir it in and see how well it coats. You really only want a light (almost non-existent) coating on the slaw to help all the components stick to each other - and to add that trademark bitter zing of mayo.

Add a squeeze of lemon juice (I start with a tsp.) and a handful of chopped dried cranberries and a handful of (shelled) sunflower seeds. This step lends itself well to pantry-panic. If you're out of cranberries, add raisins (PRO TIP: if they're particularly crusty and hard, soak them for about 3 minutes in warm water and dry on paper towels, they'll plump right up!); for the sunflower seeds - which we almost NEVER have - you can sub any nut. I used chopped pecans last night, but we've used walnuts before, too. The crunch is necessary!

It's that easy!

The flavors merry so well together. The broccoli itself has a very subtle flavor since it's cut into such small, airy pieces, so the other ingredients can really shine. Lemon juice brings an acidic brightness that pairs well with the mayonnaise and the cranberries pop the whole dish. Their signature tart sweetness livens your tastebuds; while the buttery, earthy nuttiness of the sunflower seeds grounds you again. All of these flavors are perfectly in sync and play well to the subtlety and butteriness of white fish.

Our fish tacos - rolled up; and a buffalo chicken tostada (more on that later in my Buffalo'd special)

For the other taco components last night, we used a whole wheat tortilla (flour and corn work too - but be advised, corn tortilla sizes are limited) and a Gorton's fish filet. I know we'd make Betty Draper proud with our use of breaded "fish sticks" - but you really could use any fresh or frozen fish. Grilled pollock, flounder and of course, catfish are great in these.

No comments:

Post a Comment