Saturday, July 26, 2014

Amanda's (Super Successful) Chopped Menu

I gave you the down-low on our Chopped challenge already, and you can click here for more information. But here's the gist of competition:
  1. We must make three courses for four people.
  2. There can only be 60 minutes between courses. Pre-prep is allowed. 
  3. We can only spend $16 at Grocery Outlet for all of our main ingredients (tax not included). 
  4. Cannot use coffee/caffeinated items (including chocolate) for dietary restriction reasons. 
  5. We must include Mom's GO sabotage item - course and item chosen sight unseen.
  6. The following pantry staples are allowed free of charge:
    • Up to 2 c. flour
    • Sugar
    • "Basic" spices - not things like zatar or Chinese five spice
    • Onions
    • Up to 4 eggs
    • Milk
    • Oils/butter
    • "Basic" condiments - ketchup, mayo, mustard
I was the first chef-testant and here's what I was working with. 


And yes, I got all of this for less than $16! Seriously, GO is full of great deals. Each box of loaded mashed potatoes was only 33 cents. My most expensive ingredient was the 1.27 lb Butterball turkey breast for $3.39. 

But let us not forget my demented mother's mystery item. 


The only beets I've ever eaten are some of my dad's pickled beets. He loves to eat them with cornbread and pinto beans; I was always disgusted by the tart orbs that dyed everything pink. So, let's just say I was less than thrilled to get this ingredient. I much prefer the "Killer Tofu" type of Beets (90's kids, you feel me). 


But, luckily, I drew "entree," so I didn't have to reconfigure my dessert; which would undoubtedly be a disaster. 

And let me say - mom let me look at the other goodies after I blindly picked mine and I may have gotten the best ingredient. The other two, depending on their course, could make for a nightmare. 

With beets in tow, here's my menu:

Appetizer: Italian stuffed mushrooms made with Italian sausage, button mushrooms, onions, herbs and oyster crackers. Two of the four shrooms had a garnish of julienned beet. This was my quickest, easiest recipe and it was a delicious start. I used my Ninja to crush the crackers and then did a quick pulse to break up the cooked sausage, which made for a fine crumbly filling that absorbed the butter and drizzled olive oil nicely.



Entree: A take on chicken and waffles with cheesy, green onion potato cake waffle and fried turkey breast sliders dressed with honey and hot sauce and tempura onion rings and beets. I also marinated the turkey in milk, which is traditional, but this was laced with beet juice. I was so pleased with this dish, the flavors worked as perfectly as I'd hoped. Spicy, sweet, savory with crispy and tender notes. I was even more excited because I'd only ever made one of these components before - this was my first go at fried "chicken," onion rings and certainly beet fritters. The only things I'd change would be putting the chicken on a rack after searing it, so that the bottom got crunchier than putting it straight on a baking sheet, and I'd have made some ritzy sauce for the onion rings.


Dessert: Fried carrot cake ice cream with chantilly cream. This was the real awe-inspiring dish. I was petrified it would explode in our deep fryer (which I've never used) and be an utter disaster. I pre-prepped two portions per person just in case of disaster, but it was so successful and delicious! The animal cracker coating, which I feared might be bland, browned nicely and complimented the very flavorful ice cream - it tasted just like funnel cake! Also, I learned an amazing new technique for making whipped cream; I used my immersion blender (the Kitchen Aid doesn't work well with such small quantities, the beaters don't quite reach) and it took less than one minute!

Don't mind the little bit of cream - this is J's SECOND portion and I ran out! 
I am so utterly proud of myself. I am confident in my baking skills and ability to follow a recipe, but I was really afraid of grasping at straws at GO to create a menu and even more terrified of going up against the big dogs of improvisation and technique. But I did it! And damn well, if I do say so myself.

I know they're afraid of the mystery ingredients they're going to be saddled with, but now, I think they're scared of reaching my high standard, too. Bring it on, boys!

I'll be sure to keep you up-to-date on the rest of the challenge tomorrow (Dad) and Monday (J). 

No comments:

Post a Comment