Friday, February 7, 2014

Butternut Squash Recipe #4

In the past month, I've been experimenting with butternut squash. I've made a winter minestrone soup; "funky pizza" with squash, gorgonzola, onions and walnuts; and a rich pasta dish. All of these dishes had deep, satisfying flavors and have been added to my regular recipe cookbook and have actually inspired other new dishes. I'd promised an additional dish, and finally, here it is - butternut squash puree.

I certainly appreciate and enjoy making meals like bouef bourgeninon that cook and stew for hours, layering complex flavors. However, I'm a realist and know that those sorts of dishes aren't feasible most nights; so I love quick, low-muss low-fuss dishes like all of these butternut squash recipes. This puree was the easiest recipe of the four and perhaps of the of easiest I know.

I don't even need to use my traditional format with a list of ingredients and methodology steps. It's just that simple!

Steam one packaged of pre-diced butternut squash (or half of a squash diced into 1" cubes) for 12-15 minutes, until fork tender. I used a new Biltmore Home steamer, but you could use a traditional steamer  or a colander over boiling water (do not use colored, painted colanders, the color will seep off - and yes, I've made pink cauliflower puree).



When tender, mash with 1 T unsalted butter with a pinch of salt and pepper. For a chunkier texture, you could mash by hand, however, I enjoy smooth purees and used my Ninja blender. At this step you could add several seasonings to suit your accompanying dishes. We were having pork chops with my dad's homemade "pig rub" seasoning, so I wanted to go in a savory route - and added a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little extra spice. However, I think this would be great with a tablespoon or so of honey - this would lean more towards a sweet potato flavor.

I use this exact method and recipe when I puree cauliflower. I adore mashed potatoes but using this recipe makes the most spectacular mock-mash ever. It's lower carbs and requires so much less dairy to create a creamy texture than a mashed russet would. Also, this is a great way to sneak cauliflower into your kids' (or father-in-law's) diet. It would also be a great recipe for celery root, yucca or almost any root vegetable that isn't super fiberous.


No comments:

Post a Comment